Thursday, July 28, 2011

Couscous and Butternut Squash Salad - Healthy Eating

The hardest part of this recipe was cutting up the butternut squash.
I like butternut squash, and couscous, Suprise mom! (she thinks I hate everything), but i have never cooked with either so this is a bit of an adventure. 
I used this recipe for Couscous and Squash Salad.
It was light, filling and healthy.

I had to buy most of the ingredients but I think it was worth it and I will be sure to make this again.
I also forgot to buy the cilantro and fresh thyme (the greens really). tear. I think this would have added alot to the flavour/look of the meal... next time.

So first I got all the ingredients together including:
a butternut squash 
(gosh they are big and I'm planning on making soup with the rest)
raddicchio 
(i didnt like it that much but perhaps I need the greens for help?, i have this left over too (any advice?))
cilantro (oops)
thyme (oops)
Couscous
(I made regular but they say Isreali style, good my way too)
walnut oil 
(now that I have it i would love other recipes?)
Lemon 
(fresh or I just used juice)
salt
Olive oil
optional walnuts would probably add a nice crunch but i was too cheap

Couscous is great and so much better for you than pasta and rice in many ways.
"It has a glycemic load per gram 25% below that of pasta. It has a superior vitamin profile to pasta, containing twice as much riboflavinniacinvitamin B6, and folate, and containing four times as much thiamine and pantothenic acidIn terms of protein, couscous has 3.6 g for every 100 calories, equivalent to pasta, and well above the 2.6 g for every 100 calories ofwhite rice. Furthermore, couscous contains a 1% fat-to-calorie ratio, compared to 3% for white rice, 5% for pasta, and 11.3% for rice pilaf."

Then I learnt How to cut a Butternut Squash. It takes a bit of muscle!





Then I just followed the recipe.
Though I did decide to follow the basic recipe on the couscous package (please ask if you would like it).

Raddichio... what do I do with the rest?


butternut squash and onion with oil and salt

Not Isreali Style but it was good

Yummy Yummy

There is only me to eat it so I am sure I will have a few meals out of this (perhaps cilantro will get added).  With the leftover Butternut Squash I made soup which I'll show tomorrow!


4 comments:

Miz Helen said...

Hi Molly,
I just love your dish and your blog. I am your newest follower. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon. Hope you are having a great week!
Miz Helen

Lonely soul said...

Hi Molly,
Hmmm looking delicious, I love to follow your blog.

taxi cabs

Vlogger said...

Great

Le Jus Dorange said...

Thanks forr this